Reform Accused Of ‘Hypocrisy’ After Using Deportation Footage To… Attack Lack Of Deportations

Zia Yusuf’s video on X and Home Office footageReform UK has been accused of “extraordinary hypocrisy” after Zia Yusuf criticised the government for a lack of deportations – while using Home Office footage of its recent deportations.Yusuf, who calls himself “Reform’s Shadow Home Secretary” but is actually the party’s Home Office spokesperson, released a social media video on his “promise to the country” this week.While emotive music played in the background, Yusuf can be seen pacing around the British countryside while claiming Britain has been “overwhelmed by immigration, both legal and illegal”. At one point, Yusuf – who is not currently an MP – pledges that a government under Reform would “stop the boats” and embark on a “mass deportation programme”.The video then switches to footage of “illegal” migrants being deported.The only problem is that footage was released by the Home Office last year when the government announced it had sent 19,000 people back to their origin countries in a crackdown on irregular migration.Anna Turley, chair of the Labour Party, denounced the use of the government’s own clips.She said: “This is extraordinary hypocrisy from Zia Yusuf.“He has spent months throwing stones at the government over illegal migration, yet is now using footage of us taking tough action to remove people, for his campaign video.“You can’t claim the government is doing nothing while broadcasting clear proof that we are. Unlike Reform, this Labour government is getting on with the job of securing our borders – and the footage he’s chosen to use proves it.”I am delighted to be Reform’s Shadow Home Secretary.Here’s my promise to the country👇 pic.twitter.com/ym9qhWlL33— Zia Yusuf (@ZiaYusufUK) February 17, 2026This is not the first time Reform has come under fire for its immigration pledges.The right-wing party has taken a hardline approach, vowing to abolish indefinite leave to remain, meaning immigrants could potentially have to renew their immigration status every five years, indefinitely. Yusuf has previously claimed indefinite leave to remain could be “rescinded retrospectively” too, meaning those previously granted it could be deported.Even if they are allowed to stay in the UK, they would no longer be allowed to claim any benefits.An estimated 430,000 people had ILR status at the end of 2024.National secretary of the GMB union, Rachel Harrison, said last year that the plans are “morally repugnant”.She said: “Our public services – especially the NHS – and our care sector are utterly reliant on migrant workers. Without them our care and health sectors would collapse.“This is yet more performative politics from a bunch of millionaires and their pals who do not live in the real world.”Related…Minister Questions Jim Ratcliffe’s Patriotism As Row Erupts Over Immigration Comments’I’m Getting Emotional’: Natalie Portman Speaks Out Against Trump’s Immigration CrackdownZack Polanski Calls For End To Labour’s ‘Cruel And Heartless’ Immigration Policy HuffPost UK – Athena2 – All Entries (Public) Read More